Tuesday 4 August 2015

Meet a Match: Becky & Hailey

 
Becky & Hailey

Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Durham’s very own Mentoring Coordinator, Becky Lawlor, started mentoring Hailey a little over a year ago, in the In-School Mentoring (ISM) Program when Hailey was in grade 4. About 4 months ago, Becky and Hailey have transitioned to the Traditional Mentoring Program, which means that they can see each other outside of school, as well as in the school. Their favourite activities to do together in the school include playing on the playground, playing board games, making up their own games, and playing sports. Outside of the school, they like to go shopping, play mini-putt, and visit with Becky’s 3 dogs.

“Becky is a lot of fun. Since I don’t have any siblings, she’s definitely a role model for me,” says Hailey. Becky’s favourite part of their match is just spending time together and seeing how happy Hailey is whenever they are together. “I look forward to our time together and I’ve found that I’m happier on days when I’m going to see her. Hailey brightens my day.”

When I asked Hailey what she thinks she’s getting out of the program, she says “Becky has really been helping me get along with my peers. She also helps me set goals in school which really help.”

When I asked Becky what she gets out of the relationship, she said “I get to know Hailey on a deep level and I like knowing that we’ve made a lasting connection.” Since it’s obvious that both girls like spending time together, this summer is full of possibilities for their bi-weekly visits.

From a Big Brothers Big Sisters point of view, Hailey said the magic words to me; the words we always like to hear from our mentees: “Becky is amazing. She’s not only a mentor to me, she’s like an older sister.”



If you're interested in learning more information about our mentoring programs, please call Cheryl Holmes at 905-985-3733 ext 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment