Wednesday 12 August 2015

Meet a Mentor: CTV's Lance Brown

photo credit: CTV


Meet a Mentor: Lance Brown

CTV's Sports Anchor and Director, Lance Brown, has been an In-School Mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Durham (BBBSND) for over 10 years! "I became involved in BBBSND through Margie Ayres, whom I’ve known for some years.  She was aware that I had been a Big Brother in Toronto and asked if I might like to mentor," says Lance.

During Lance's time with us, he's mentored 3 boys in the Uxbridge area. "I think it’s a terrific way to give back," says Lance. "I’ve been very fortunate in life and I love kids, so it’s a terrific 'guy' way to help, I think."

Lance has been matched with his current Little for a year, and knows that just being there each week is what his mentee really needs. "I’m seeing some progress with my mentee. Nothing dramatic, and I know you’re not supposed to expect much, and I don’t..but it’s nice to see the little fellow coming along a bit,"says Lance. If the weather is nice, they love to be outside together playing sports, but if they are inside, they enjoy playing chess and other board games.

When asked if there is anyone in his life who plays a supportive role for his mentoring, Lance says "My wife is outstanding.  Our kids are great, too.  I came from a terrific family and that probably best set the table for my interest in this.  BBBSND is great too."

Lance explains why he continues to mentor children in our community: "It just makes you feel good.You’re doing something for someone else and, to start, someone you’ve never met, " says Lance.

"Every once in a while you’ll get an indication that you’re making a difference and that makes it all worthwhile."

If you're interested in learning more information about our mentoring programs, please call Cheryl Holmes at 905-985-3733 ext 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment